Free Shipping on orders over CAD$39.99 +1 833-999-4483

Wind warning remains in effect for GTA, prompting some school bus cancellations


After a blustery beginning Sunday night, things should settle down in Toronto this week, according to Environment Canada.

The wind warning remains in place as of early Monday morning, alerting residents to potential gusts of up to 90 km/h. Later in the day it should be mainly cloudy with a 30 per cent chance of flurries in the evening and a wind chill of about -18 C.

People take a stroll along Remembrance Dr. near the Toronto Inukshuk Park as high wind gusts cause waves over the breaker walls near Billy Bishop Airport on Sunday.
People take a stroll along Remembrance Dr. near the Toronto Inukshuk Park as high wind gusts cause waves over the breaker walls near Billy Bishop Airport on Sunday.  (Andrew Francis Wallace / Toronto Star)

Also still in effect is Environment Canada’s blowing snow advisory, warning residents of reduced visibility and potentially “hazardous” travel conditions as snow will be “whipped up” by the winds.

Some regions have canceled their school buses, but all schools in the GTA remain open.

School buses are cancelled for the York Region public and Catholic school boards, as are school buses in Simcoe County, Brampton, Caledon, Mississauga, and for the Dufferin Peel Catholic School Board.

Transportation is cancelled in Zone 1 for Durham District public and Catholic school boards, and in all zones for the Halton District public and Catholic school boards.

Gusts sent garbage bins bouncing, traffic lights spinning and waves crashing over breaker walls near Toronto Inukshuk Park, following a warning from the agency that winds of up to 110 km/h could take over the city Sunday afternoon.

Toronto Police tweeted shortly after 4 p.m. that a traffic light in the intersection of Queens Quay W. and York St. had been “turned around as a result of the wind” and was “causing confusion for drivers.”

Chilly weather will continue into Tuesday and Wednesday, with a 30 per cent and 60 per cent chance of flurries, respectively, and lows of -11 to -16 C. Both days should be mostly clear.

Things will warm up later in the week as Thursday will see a low of -8 C and a mixture of sun and cloud, according to Environment Canada.

Friday will be cloudy with a low of -3 C and a 40 per cent chance of snow — increasing to 60 per cent on Saturday.

Jack Hauen is a breaking news reporter, working out of the Star’s radio room in Toronto. Follow him on Twitter: @jackhauen

Alexandra Jones is a breaking news reporter, working out of the Star’s radio room in Toronto. Follow her on Twitter: @AlexandraMaeJ





Source link

WWWHive Digital
Logo
Enable registration in settings - general
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare
0
Shopping cart