A woman believed to be in her 60s has died after she was struck Friday morning by a TTC bus near Bloor St. E. and Sherbourne St.
Emergency services were called to the intersection shortly after 6:30 a.m. after receiving multiple calls about a woman struck and lying in the roadway, said Sgt. Brett Moore, a spokesperson for Toronto police traffic services.
They found the victim with serious injuries and transported her to hospital, where she later died.
“We’re working with that bus and with the folks from the TTC to determine how the bus came in contact with the woman,” Moore said.
He said police have not identified the woman yet. She is described as white and in her 60s, he said. Police are appealing to witnesses and businesses in the area for more information.
TTC spokesperson Kadeem Griffiths said the transit agency is working with police but also conducting their own internal investigation of the bus driver.
The area around the collision was closed for the investigation but the roads have reopened and TTC has resumed regular service.
Including this pedestrian, nine people have been killed on Toronto streets so far in 2019:
- On Jan. 8, a 69-year-old woman was hit while walking across O’Connor Dr., north of St. Clair Ave. E. She died in hospital on Jan. 16.
- On Jan. 15, Hang Vo, 58, was hit and killed by a garbage truck in a laneway steps north of St. Andrew subway station. A building manager who works in the area told the Star Vo, who was homeless, regularly slept in the area.
- On Jan. 16, a 75-year-old was hit by the driver of an Infiniti while crossing the intersection of Dufferin St. and Eglinton Ave. W. He died in hospital a week later.
- On Jan. 17, a man in his 60s was killed in a hit-and-run collision near the intersection of Bathurst St. and Bloor St. W. Police said reports indicate the man was hit by a garbage truck.
- On Feb. 2, a male pedestrian was struck and killed by a transport truck in the eastbound express lanes of Hwy. 401 at the Yonge St. exit.
According to statistics compiled by the Star using police and media reports, five cyclists and 42 pedestrians were killed on Toronto streets in 2018. That total is higher than any single year in a police database that goes back to 2007.
The Star began keeping its own count of traffic deaths in 2017 to fill gaps in police numbers, which don’t include fatalities that occur on private property or provincially owned 400 series highways.
It’s unclear if that number was an all-time record, as the Star does not have independent data on pedestrian and cyclist deaths before that year.
Thirteen motorists and 10 motorcyclists were also killed on Toronto streets in 2018, according to Star data.
Mayor John Tory late last year said he remains committed to Vision Zero, the city’s plan to eliminate traffic deaths. He had received criticism for earlier saying the plan is “not working” in a year-end interview with the CBC.
With files from Ben Spurr
Rhianna Jackson-Kelso is a breaking news reporter, working out of the Star’s radio room in Toronto. Follow her on Twitter: @RhiannaJK