A vehicle found abandoned and set on fire in Vaughan on Saturday is the same vehicle two suspects used to flee an East York shooting over the long weekend that killed one man and injured another, say Toronto police.
Police received a flood of 911 calls on Friday around 2:15 p.m. to a lowrise residential building in East York near Wakunda Pl. and O’Connor Dr. and found 29-year-old Kevin Reddick suffering from gunshot wounds outside 90 Parma Crt.
The victim, identified by family and neighbours as a young father, died from his injuries at the scene.
The other male victim was taken to Sunnybrook Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, police said.
Nearby residents described the sound of gunfire as loud shots in rapid succession.
Toronto police Insp. Jim Gotell told reporters Friday that the shooting was street gang-related and the two victims were targeted.
Upon reviewing surveillance footage, police said in a news release Sunday that two suspects were seen exiting a Black Audi Q5 before the shooting occurred. They then began to fire at Reddick and the other victim, fleeing in the same car north on Victoria Park Ave.
Police seized the abandoned car for forensic examination and continue to investigate the shooting.
Anyone with information has been asked to contact 55 Division at 416-808-5500 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477).
There have been 25 shootings in the city since Aug. 3.
Five shootings took place this weekend. In three of them, three victims were seriously injured. One happened on Sunday afternoon near Yonge St. and Florence Ave. where a car was found riddled with bullet holes. A man walked into hospital with gunshot wounds shortly afterwards.
In the other two instances, six to seven gunshots were heard sending people running and screaming. No one was injured.
This comes after at least 17 people were shot in 14 distinct shootings over the August long weekend in Toronto.
Toronto police Chief Mark Saunders has spoken out twice since the recent wave of shootings.
Just hours after he first spoke to reporters Aug. 5, four more people were shot in three different shootings in Toronto.
At a news conference held Aug. 9, Saunders said the shootings “by and large have street gang connotations to them or are street gang related.” Policing won’t be the solution to the ongoing violence, he told reporters at police headquarters. “We are not going to arrest our way out of this.”
Kevin Reddick is Toronto’s 37th homicide victim of 2019, and the 20th to die from a shooting.
Including Reddick, 30 men and seven women have been killed in Toronto so far this year. They are:
- Lorraine Kerubo Ogoti, 30, was stabbed in an eighth-floor unit of a Scarborough apartment building on Jan. 8. Her boyfriend, Mowlid Hassan, 40, was found dead outside the building. Police have concluded Ogoti’s death was a murder-suicide.
- Hanh (Hana) Nguyen, 41, was stabbed at her home near Jane St. and St. Clair Ave. W., on Jan. 24. Austin Le, 40, was found at the scene and charged with second-degree murder.
- Jason Otis Lewis, 47, was found dead at an apartment on Broadway Ave., near Yonge St. and Eglinton Ave. E. on March 4. An autopsy found he died of blunt-force trauma. Quentin Luke Lewis, 42, was arrested two days later and charged with second-degree murder.
- Jennyfer Lachappelle, 41, was found dead at an apartment near Davenport Rd. and Symington Ave. on March 13. Andrew Gerber, 38, has been charged with second-degree murder. Friends said Gerber and Lachappelle were in a relationship and may have been engaged.
- Helen Fronczak, 79, was found dead at an apartment near Kipling Ave. and Eglinton Ave. W. on March 19. Larry Fronczak, 80, has been charged with second-degree murder.
Get more of today’s top stories in your inbox
Sign up for the Star’s Morning Headlines newsletter for a briefing of the day’s big news.
- Wilfred Kent Truman, 77, was killed in his home near Eglinton Ave. W. and Black Creek Dr. on April 15. Kyle Truman, 49, of Toronto, has been charged with first-degree murder.
- Lawrence Taylor Gannon, 28, was shot on Ivy Green Cres., near Brimorton Dr. and Orton Park Rd., in Scarborough on April 28. He died in hospital two days later.
- Premachchandran Sundaralingam, 53, was found injured inside a home near Renforth Dr. and Rathburn Rd. on April 28. Police later determined he had been injured in an altercation. He died in hospital the next day. Richard Turner, 48, of Toronto, was arrested on May 2 and has been charged with manslaughter, aggravated assault and threatening death.
- Blain Gerrado Grindley, 26, was shot dead in Rexdale near John Garland Blvd. and Humber College Blvd. on May 1. Michael Smith, 29, of Toronto, surrendered to police on May 20. He is charged with first degree murder. Police are still looking for Dayne Sitladeen, 27, of Mississauga.
- Justin Kyle Ezeard, 23, was shot at a commercial establishment near Steeles Ave. W. and Islington Ave. on May 3. Shawn Vassel, 35, of Toronto, was arrested on July 10, charged with second-degree murder.
- Brendon Bowler, 17, was stabbed near Sir Wilfrid Laurier C.I. near Guildwood Pkwy. and Livingston Rd. on May 6. Emmett Carew, 18, and Cheddi Itwaroo, 20, both of Toronto, are charged with second-degree murder.
- Valland Spolarich, 43, was found dead at his home at Shanly St. and Westmoreland Ave. on May 21. Herculano Pimentel, 50, of Toronto has been charged with second-degree murder.
- James Andrew Smith, 52, was stabbed while he was standing at the door of 730 Yonge St. near Charles St. on June 8. Eric Bryant Ram, 24, of no fixed address, has been charged with second-degree murder.
- Johnson Reyes, 61, was stabbed at Parkwoods Village Dr. and Gisburn Rd., west of Victoria Park Ave. in North York on June 28.
- Jaydin Simpson, 17, was shot in a parking lot near Danzig St. and Morningside Ave. in Scarborough on June 28.
- Christopher Teape, 25, and Ahmed Mohamud, 32, both from Toronto, were shot at an apartment building on Emmett Ave., near Jane St. and Eglinton Ave. W. A third man was also shot, and suffered non life-threatening injuries. Denzil Kemoy Williams, 33, of Toronto, was arrested July 27, and charged with two counts of first degree murder.
- Jordan Armstrong, 33, was shot inside Orchid nightclub on Peter St., near Spadina Ave. Staff found the club promoter suffering from gunshot wounds at 3 a.m. and he later died in hospital.
- Dwain Frederick Adams, 61, was assaulted in a restaurant near Queen St. E. and Sherbourne St. on July 1. He died in hospital on July 6. Patrick Gayle, 46, was arrested for aggravated assault, which was later changed to manslaughter on July 6.
- Kathryn Niedoba, 36, was found with life-threatening injuries near Dovercourt Park on July 18 and died in hospital. Matthew Larmon, 43, of Toronto, was arrested the next day and charged with manslaughter.
- Grenville Johnson, 56, stabbed at a drop-in program operated by Wychwood Open Door on Aug. 7 at about 3 p.m. Glen McGregor, 57, of Toronto, charged with second-degree murder.
Kevin Reddick, 29, was shot in East York’s Parma Crt. neighbourhood near Wakunda Pl. Two suspects are wanted in connection to the shooting.
With files from Wendy Gillis and Jennifer Pagliaro
Temur Durrani is a breaking news reporter, working out of the Star’s radio room in Toronto. Follow him on Twitter: @temurdur