Father of B.C. manhunt suspect allowed to view final video, lawyer says

0
218
Father of B.C. manhunt suspect allowed to view final video, lawyer says


VANCOUVER—The father of a young murder suspect sought in a nationwide manhunt has been allowed to view video footage left by his son before his apparent suicide.

Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, used a cellphone to record their “last will and testament” on video in Northern Manitoba, Star Vancouver reported last month.

The case largely defied public explanation, but the existence of a video statement raised the possibility of information that would help authorities and the families of the victims understand the events that transpired.

Police suspect the two men killed three people in Northern B.C.: Leonard Dyck, 64, of Vancouver; Lucas Fowler, 23, of Australia; and American Chynna Deese, 24.

The suspects’ remains were found near Gillam, Man., on Aug. 7. Police have confirmed the pair were found with two firearms and that they appeared to have shot themselves.

Schmegelsky’s father Al retained Vancouver criminal lawyer Sarah Leamon to negotiate with the RCMP for access to the video. Leamon confirmed Al was able to view some of the footage Thursday morning.

“Obviously that’s something he’s experienced for himself,” Leamon said, adding that she and Schmegelsky are bound by a nondisclosure agreement and cannot speak to what the video contained. “It obviously was emotional.”

A family member told Star Vancouver last month that about 30 seconds of the video have been shared with certain members of the McLeod and Schmegelsky families.

YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN…

In that brief segment, McLeod and Schmegelsky detailed their wishes for their remains. It was a goodbye and “last will and testament,” said the family member, who did not see the video first-hand.

Police have the rest of the video, of unknown length, the source said.

The RCMP declined to comment on the existence of such a video.

“The RCMP will not be discussing any private communications or discussions we have had with families connected with this file,” Staff Sgt. Janelle Shoihet wrote in an email to Star Vancouver on Thursday.

“We are still committed to providing an update; however, we have no definitive plans as to what will form that update nor when the update will be provided.”

Get more of today’s top stories in your inbox

Find everything you need to know about what’s happening in Vancouver in our Morning Headlines newsletter.

Sign Up Now

Alex McKeen





Source link