The new decade will shortly be upon us, here’s what you need to know as you navigate the city New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.
- GO Transit is free after 7 p.m. Tuesday (New Year’s Eve). Trains will also run later.
- TTC is free from 7 p.m. Tuesday to 7 a.m. Wednesday. During these hours, customers shouldn’t tap their Presto cards when boarding. Anyone tapping accidentally will be refunded within approximately two business days.
- Last TTC subway train will leave Union at 3:30 a.m. on Wednesday for Finch and 3:34 a.m. for Vaughan. Last southbound train from Finch departs at 3:05 a.m., and leaves Vaughan at 2:49 a.m.
- Last northbound train will connect at Bloor-Yonge station with the last eastbound and westbound trains on Bloor-Danforth at 3:37 a.m. Wednesday.
- Last northbound train will connect at Sheppard-Yonge station with the last eastbound train on Sheppard at 3:57 a.m. Wednesday.
- Last eastbound train on Line 3 will leave Kennedy station at 4:05 a.m. Wednesday.
- Most bus and streetcar routes that usually run after midnight will be extended until 4 a.m. Wednesday.
- On Wedneday (New Year’s Day), both the TTC and GO will run on its regular Sunday service schedule. Most TTC routes and the subway start at 8 a.m.
- Regular TTC and GO service will resume Thursday.
Tuesday (New Year’s Eve)
- LCBO stores, with some operating on extended hours.
- Bring in the new year with some new knowledge at the Royal Ontario Museum with access to the exhibition Bloodsuckers: Legends to Leeches, and dance the night away with live music. 9 p.m.-2 a.m. Tickets are $141.25 each (members receive 10 per cent discount).
- New Year’s Eve isn’t considered a statutory holiday. Most institutions and businesses are open, although some close earlier.
New Year’s Day
Get more of today’s top stories in your inbox
Sign up for the Star’s Morning Headlines email newsletter for a briefing of the day’s big news.
- CN Tower, 10 a.m.-10:30 p.m.
- Art Gallery of Ontario, 10:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Ripley’s Aquarium, 9 a.m.-11 p.m.
- Royal Ontario Museum, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Toronto Zoo, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Ontario Science Centre, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- CF Eaton Centre (12 p.m.-7 p.m.), Promenade (11 a.m.-6 p.m.), Square One Shopping Centre (11 a.m.-6 p.m.).
- Government offices, libraries, public services and banks.
- LCBO and Beer Store locations.
- Scarborough Town Centre, Yorkdale Shopping Centre, Dufferin Mall, CF Sherway Gardens, CF Fairview Mall and Bayview Village.