No subway service between St. Clair West and Union stations due to derailment at St. George station

A TTC derailment Thursday morning has caused another commuter headache for thousands of passengers in downtown Toronto.

A TTC work car derailed near St. George station forcing riders to take shuttle buses from St. Clair West to Union Station in both directions.

Police say large crowds have gathered around some of the affected stations and are urging riders to stay patient. Riders who are leaving home and would be affected are urged to head over to the Yonge portion of Line 1 to head downtown.

“We’ve added extra bus service to the 97 Yonge, and extra streetcars to the 510 Spadina and 512 St Clair routes,” TTC head of customer service department Sue Motahedin tweeted at about 8:30 a.m.

“(Six) subway cars were moved from Line 2 on to the Yonge side of Line 1 to help deal with the volume of customers. Thank for your patience — more updates soon.”

Kadeem Griffiths, a TTC spokesperson, told the Star that he “had no information” regarding how long it would take to get subway service back up and running. No injuries were reported as a result of the derailment.

Rerouting crews were arriving at St. George station shortly before 7 a.m., according to Griffiths.

The TTC tweeted that “as a result of the delay on Line 1, customers may use GO Transit at Kipling, Dundas West, Downsview Park, and Union Stations (including the UP Express)” for the cost of a regular TTC fare.

Presto customers do not have to tap prior to boarding.

Commuters were predictably frustrated by the delays and tweeted their frustration to the TTC.

“It happened at the worst possible time,” Mayor John Tory told reporters Thursday morning.

“I look forward to a full and complete report into why this happened,” Tory said.

Get more of today’s top stories in your inbox

Sign up for the Star’s Morning Headlines email newsletter for a briefing of the day’s big news.

Sign Up Now

While derailments are relatively rare on the TTC, this is the second incident in a little more than three weeks. On Jan. 22, a subway car “partially derailed,” closing Line 2 between Jane and Ossington stations for four hours, affecting thousands of passengers.

Prior to that incident, the last derailment on the TTC was in 2008.

The January delay was the first major unintended shutdown of service on the TTC in 2020, but just the latest in the last few months.

With files from Miriam Lafontaine and Ben Spurr

Ted Fraser

Ted Fraser is a breaking news reporter, working out of the Star’s radio room in Toronto. Follow him on Twitter: @ted_fraser



How was your TTC commute today?

Conversations are opinions of our readers and are subject to the Code of Conduct. The Star does not endorse these opinions.

Source link

WWWHive Digital
Enable registration in settings - general
Compare items
  • Total (0)