Killer drunk driver Marco Muzzo is set to have a parole hearing on April 28, the Parole Board of Canada says.
Muzzo is currently serving a 10-year prison sentence after pleading guilty in 2016 to several counts of impaired driving causing death in the crash that killed 65-year-old Gary Neville and his three grandchildren, Daniel, Harrison and Milagros Neville-Lake — nine, five and two, respectively.
He had also pleaded guilty to impaired driving causing bodily harm over injuries to the children’s grandmother and great-grandmother.
This will be Muzzo’s second attempt at parole. A person becomes eligible for full parole after serving one-third of their sentence.
He was denied on his first try in November 2018 after the parole board found he had “sabotaged” his progress in prison by underestimating his issues with alcohol.
“You minimized the seriousness of the offending by suggesting it was only ‘a small handful of times,’” a two-person parole board panel said its decision denying Muzzo parole. “Of concern, you advised the board you felt you would need to consume eight or nine drinks before you would consider yourself impaired in the context of driving.
“When pressed on this issue, you altered your response indicating you believe eight or nine drinks would make you ‘wasted.’ In any event, in our view, it was clear you lack insight into the volume and frequency of your drinking and the risk it poses for you and others.”
Muzzo spoke at his first parole hearing, telling the board he “firmly” believed he was not an addict. The family of the victims also spoke, urging the board to keep Muzzo locked up.
“Whether or not he’s on day or full parole, it doesn’t change what I go home to every night, it doesn’t change how I live, it doesn’t change anything around me,” the children’s mother, Jennifer Neville-Lake, told reporters after Muzzo’s first parole hearing in 2018.
“So it doesn’t matter. If he gets parole — there’s no more of my family left to kill, no more children who will be riding in grandparents’ car anymore.”
On top of several non-criminal tickets for speeding, Muzzo also admitted during his parole hearing that he had driven impaired other times before the deadly 2015 crash in Vaughan.
The crash drew heavy public scrutiny at the time, both because of the young age the Neville-Lake children and because of the Muzzo family’s enormous wealth, estimated at being close to $1.8 billion by Canadian Business magazine.
The parole board had also found Muzzo showed a lack of transparency by failing to tell a psychiatrist who was evaluating him ahead of his 2016 sentencing that he had been ticketed for being intoxicated in public in 2012, when he became belligerent after being denied entry to a Vaughan strip club.
Get more of today’s top stories in your inbox
Sign up for the Star’s Morning Headlines email newsletter for a briefing of the day’s big news.